Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My first attempt at sewing using a pattern



Well, it's not really my first attempt. My VERY first attempt sewing using a pattern, ended in a pattern being ripped to shreds, 2 yards of fabric in scraps, a pair of scissors lodged in the wall, and approximately 12 minutes scraped off my life due to stress. Needless to say, it was not a pretty sight. Poor Hubby was just as frustrated as I was just listening to me scream, and trust me, this scene was not rated PG13.




I decided to try yet again. This time I was going to actually read the directions, and take my time on this project. I refuse to waste anymore fabric (hey, have you priced it lately??). I was going to line the dress with muslin, mainly because it's cheap and soft to the touch. I had interfacing to keep the top of it from wrinkling after washing. And of course the pattern. This was the pattern and the fabric I chose.


I cut the pattern out, and was quite confused because it is labeled in what seems like a foreign language (or seamstress lingo, same difference). So how come they only have one side of the pattern for the upper chest? this dress has two arm holes? Do I just flip the pattern and cut the fabric again? Oh, the unanswered questions. Well, my choice was to flip the pattern and cut the fabric again to make the left and right side of the top of the dress (which was wrong I later find out).


Two hours later I have all the fabric cut thanks to my wonderful husband who reluctantly helped me cut. Now to start the sewing, which is the worst part. You would think it's the easiest, but my friends, if you are learning to sew, a wise woman shopping for fabric told me "if you are learning to sew, buy a good seam ripper" Boy was she right! Even this little dress I had to sew, rip the seam, sew again, etc. But I finally got it figured out, and it turned out pretty well!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

was cute as a button on her! Thanks "Martha" ... hey while your at it where's my bread! Blog that!!! =) haha love it thanks for sharing!